Howdy. I recently purchased at auction a late 70s vintage Browning B-78 RB in .22-250. It came with a pair of scope mounts marked "Browning" but no scope. I have mounted a Leupold VX-II 6-18 x 40 scope on it, and managed to get out to sight it in this afternoon. I like this rifle!

I've got the windage dialed in properly, but am experiencing some difficulty with the elevation. I've got the knob turned as far "down" as it will go but am still 4" high. As the elevation knob has gotten rather difficult to turn (and I'm not willing to "force it") it appears that I have run out of clicks. I'm no expert on scoped rifles (it's been about 10 years since I've used a scope) but I'm guessing that perhaps I need a higher rear mount perhaps? Does anyone know what mounts these are supposed to take?

Incidentally, I was using factory ammo, starting at 50yds and moving back to 200yds. I was impressed with the Hornady 55gr bullet (1" for 4-shot groups) until I fired the Winchester 45gr and started getting cloverleafs. My intent is to use this for varmints, so I would like to get dialed-in at up to 300yds or so.

Thanks in advance for any advice you might be able to provide.