Originally Posted by elkcountry
LuisL,

Good shooting!

Can you fill me in on the loads you guys used?

I'm a shotshell geek and love to hear what is working for other goose hunters!

Elk Country

I used a mix of BBB I bought specifically for this hunt with #1 and #2 leftover from various hunts. The BBB was Hevi-Shot brand "Hevi-Metal" loads, and the #1 and #2 were el cheapo Winchester Xpert Hi-Velocity loads from Wal-Mart. The other guys were using mostly BB and BBB, but I never caught what brands or specific loads.

Believe it or not, I've had the absolute best luck with my Benelli M2 using the cheapie Winchester Xperts. I've killed far more birds (and I mean ducks, pheasant, quail and geese) with those cheap steel shot loads than with any of the premium stuff. It just patterns them so well, even with the factory chokes.

Odessa -

best of luck going after those woodies! Post some pics of those pretty drakes if you score a few. Have a blast on the follow-on goose hunt, too. The way the birds have been pushing south around here, you may very well have yourself a darn good time.

catnthehat -

Cut corn is an amazing backdrop for this kind of hunting if for no other reason than the potential for camouflage. It's incredible when the birds fly over a layout blind covered in husks thinking its just a pile of ravaged corn cobs. If you ever get to hunt stateside (specifically in the Midwest region), you've gotta give it a try.