I have a set of S&W smooth target grips that had a crinkly finish � it was oxidized or whatever, bottom line it was all cracked. Tried Formby�s refinisher on them per Sitka Deer�s recommendation and it was ineffective, apparently the finish was not something it would cut. Anyway, I ended up sanding off the original finish down to bare wood. The original wood is very light colored so I stained it with Minwax walnut stain. The final color came out very pleasing and very similar to another pair of S&W grips I own.

Put a first coat of Tru-Oil on it last night and am going for as many coats as it takes until I am satisfied. The directions on the bottle say to knock back the first coat with 00 steel wool.

Have heard all kinds of varying opinions about how steel wool leaves little rusty bits in the wood. So the question is: What cheap and readily available alternative is there to steel wool for light rubbing/whatever you�re supposed to do between Tru-Oil coats to knock it back? Or is steel wool just fine to use?

TIA

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!