I'm going to break the ice here with what isn't so much a difficult or sophisticated recipe, but more a salivating reminiscence of one of the best meals I have ever had.
<br>
<br>You should know that eating game is no big novelty to me or my family. Before all you rural guys who eat venison three times a week jump all over my case for that statement, just be aware that I live in Los Angeles, and regularly get comments about how eating (fill in the blank) is just plain gross. I do doves, quail, pheasants, grouse, rabbits, deer, elk, trout, sand bass, calico bass, white sea bass, halibut, sheephead, etc., with impunity, all gotten by me or mine. Call me a fish out of water around here.
<br>
<br>Anyway, a couple of years back, in Montana, a downed whitetail took a buddy and me quite a few hours to get back to the truck. It was quite a drag in two feet of snow over sagebrush and hills. We had saved the heart and the liver, and more than once while we stopped for a breather I was tempted to leave that bag behind with the excuse that we could come back for it, but with the knowledge that we probably never would if we left it. The latter made me hang on to it.
<br>
<br>Longer story shorter, when we finally got back to my buddy's house that night, the night before Thanksgiving it was, we hung that deer in the barn, went right inside, and he butterflied the heart, added a few simple spices, and broiled that sucker. We opened up a bottle of red wine, and when the heart was ready, broke a loaf of french bread, and proceeded to eat what has got to be one of he very best meals I have ever had. Mind you, I have eaten in some of the fanciest joints in LA, and the only thing that I can remember coming remotely close was some fried barracuda a mate on a fishing boat I was on made just to prove barracuda was worth keeping.
<br>
<br>I don't know if it was the appetite we worked up dragging that deer out, the way the red wine went perfectly with the venison, or the good french bread. Probably all of the above. Anyway, I will never, ever, let anyone discard a heart or liver as long as I live, unless it's badly shot up. And I hope to never have to freeze them. I'm eating them fresh, that night, with a bottle of red and a loaf of french.
<br>
<br>Rick
<br>
<br>P.S.: Oh, and barracudas get filleted every time.

Last edited by RickBin; 01/24/02.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine