Welcome!

In the world of 165gr. .30 bullets I have always been a believer in Sierra 165 BTHPs, BUT, I've never shot an elk. On deer they're the tits and the most accurate 165 I ever experimented with. There is a bit of controversy swirling around the Sierra 165BTHP re: use on thick-skinned big game. My thinking is that since lighter calibers firing cup-and-core bullets have dispatched elk one could get away with using it. Honestly though if it were me I would stick with the Sierra for everything all the time-- but switch to a "premium" bullet for that once in a lifetime chance at an elk, if it ever came along.

If you're looking for a powder that meters sweetly through a measure, give BLC-2 a try. It's always been a favorite of mine in .308-class cartridges, though pretty much any of the medium burning rate powders will serve you well in the .308. Just don't try to hot rod it into something it isn't.

I have mixed feelings about fibre-optic sights, but to each his own. My personal preference is for genuine gold- bead or Sourdough- front sights, but that's me. Calhoun's advice re: saving the original sights is spot on.

Huh? They bleeped the common vernacular for women's mammary glands?? I'll be [bleep]!

Last edited by gnoahhh; 02/18/11.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty