Originally Posted by POC
It's a Remington 597. I'll be using it at Appleseed shoots (25M) mostly, but some squirrel hunting now and again...

Thanks guys.

POC,
Here's my Rem 597 (the TVPSS version, with a VQ barrel) I have a few tips for you;
1) Do NOT use the Weaver rail--you will find the receiver is thin aluminum at the top where the rail screws are--if the gun is knocked over, the screws and rail will strip out--Ask me how I know!
2) So, use the 3/8" 22LR tip-off type mount--much sturdier on these guns
3) Yes, there are plenty of tip off (for 3/8" grooves) out there. My gun has Millett Angle-Loc steel "High" mounts, part # TP00005. Any good gun shop should have them in stock--@ $24.00 or so.
4) If you're going to use it for general hunting, a 4X32mm scope fits well, is compact and not too bulky.
5) If you're going to punch bugeye holes in paper, or 3 postion shoots from 50 to 100 yards, I highly recommend an an AO (adjustble objective) scope for parallax adjustment or side adjustment for parallax. Scope on my rifle is a Federal Intensity 6.6X20X44mm that is no longer made, but they do have a 3X9 and a 4X12 still--great scopes at a reasonable price (@ 100 to $120 or so)
6) Get on over to www.rimfirecentral.com and go to the Rem forum, 597 sub forum for answers to guestions you haven't thought of yet

PS--IMHO--great guns! They had problems at first when first introduced, but they're ironed out, very accurate, short money, EASIEST gun to tune and tinker with yourself I have ever found--and tons of options now if you want to add on to it. You can easily work on it yourself to get to a 2.5lb trigger pull with no creep, by yourself, with little effort on a home workbench or kitchen table. Or you can buy a Volquartsen hammer that will do the same for $ 40.00. I've got a 1lb 3 oz trigger pull with no creep and an overtravel adjusment, with all stock parts. 2.3 to 3 lb would be great for Appleseeds!
Here's a pic or two.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by SteveS; 02/19/11.