I've got the go ahead to pick another rifle, and am considering either the Rem 700 LSS in 257 wby or the 700 mtn LSS in 270.

When we hunt mule deer here in the west, we average about 13 miles per day on foot, so the lighter weight of the mtn rifle is appealing, but the 700 LSS model is still not as heavy as my Sako I use for elk, and I've lugged that thing around for miles, and wouldn't carry anything else while hunting elk. I've never lugged around a 26" barreled gun before, so I don't know if it would be cumbersome or not. On the other hand, I've never owned or used a thin barreled gun either and have some concerns about it's accuracy. I currently have a .270 that is my go to deer gun (Vanguard synthetic), but don't mind having two guns in the same caliber.

Anybody have any experience with either rifle/caliber? I've got a couple of synthetic guns and the Sako is walnut, but I've been dying for a laminated model, and I can't really afford another Sako since Beretta's pretty much ensured that finding a good deal on one is a long shot.

I plan on topping the gun off with either a Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40 or a Conquest. Back when I bought the Conquest for my Sako, the Conquests were actually cheaper across the board than the VX-III's, but the word is out and their price has followed. Also, the Conquests are considerably heavier. The VX-3 I'm looking at comes in at 13 oz. while the Conquest comes in at 15 or 17 oz, depending on reticle. (why would the RZ-800 be heavier than the z-plex anyway?)

Oh, I almost forgot...the gun will be used for anything from coyotes up to mule deer, and being out west (New Mexico) I could end up with shots at any range.

Last edited by Agar426; 02/20/11.