Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by Fotis
I am thinking about Magnaporting my Weatherby.

Is recoil reduction better with either?

There is less recoil with either. Depending on what muzzle brake is chosen, muzzle jump can be reduced quite a bit--especially with magnaport based on my experience, but there's whole lot of muzzle brakes that I haven't tried either......

Muzzle blast is ferocious--I'm convinced magnaporting a rifle back in the 80's hurt my hearing--I will never use magnaporting or a muzzle brake again. If the rifle needs a brake, I ain't shooting it.

The best recoil reducing system out there is a Decelerator pad by Pachmayr, second best is a thick flip flop, either one fitted to stock with minimal drop at the heel.........

I disagree- the best recoil reducer is a scope with 4+ inches of eye relief!!

I have no rifles with brakes but have shot a lot of them that do and put together a number that have them- in fact, I designed one that we put on a few rifles and was quite effective and looks decent.

They work very nice if you have hearing protection in place. If not, they are the devil's curse!

I would not use a brake that has the gas ports drilled all the way around it (vais, KDF, Harrels et al) I like brakes that have to be timed. A lot of shooting that I do is prone- I don't want dust blown all over the place when I touch a shot off or try to spot for someone else who is.

I have never owned a Magna ported rifle but I have shot two. Recoil reduction is probably close to 5% but muzzle jump is all but eliminated. Might be nice touch on some rifles. It might detract from the value of a collectible rifle but so will a muzzle brake. Wouldn't be a deal killer for me if shopping.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.