Originally Posted by Savage_99
These days I look more to the rifle than a middle of the road, capacity wise, cartridge like the 280 imp.

When I handle a Kimber 84L I will know if I like it better than the 8400 WSM's. If it stands out handling wise I might consider one in 280 imp.

Right now I have WSM's in Kimber Montanas and 84M's as well. Can't see the 280 imp. beating out a WSM. However the rifle might.

Somehow I doubt it. Its just another cartridge.

There's is so much truth to this.

Although it's often difficult not to pick a cartridge on on one's collective bias, more and more it seems to me that picking a bullet for the job at hand and a rifle that you like very well make much more sense.

For example, for deer, let's say a chap is comfortable with a bit heavier bullets in the 150 - 180gr range. The guy needs to find a rifle that he likes and that suits his hunting style that will throw 150 - 180gr bullets at deer-killing speeds. The cartidge, whether it's a 7mm-08 or a .300 WSM or a .30-06 or a .280 AI, doesn't really matter all that much. All will do the same job with nearly equal results.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?