For the heck of it I decided to run three types of 170 gr .30-30 ammo that I had on hand through a little informal test at the rifle range this morning.

Temperature was 40 degrees, overcast, and with a slight north wind. The bullet launcher was my trusty iron-sighted 336 Marlin with the standard 20" microgroove barrel. The chronograph was 12' from the muzzle. The target was a row of one-gallon plastic jugs filled with water, at 25 yards.

Remington Core Lokt: Recovered from 6th jug. 132 gr, .552" dia. Muzzle velocity was 2118 fps.
[Linked Image]

Winchester Silvertip: Recovered from 6th jug. 125.6 gr, .584" dia. Muzzle velocity was 2167 fps.
[Linked Image]

Winchester Power Point: Recovered from 6th jug. 138.5 gr, .606" dia. Muzzle velocity was 2141 fps.
[Linked Image]

Unless one of these types of ammo shoots remarkably better from your rifle (and they all shot with about the same good accuracy from my Marlin), I don't know that I could recommend one of these over the other. They all have similar muzzle velocity, penetration, expansion and weight retention. The modest muzzle velocity of the .30-30, coupled with a large soft point seems to make for very good bullet performance.

I'd also note that at this same velocity level, some 300 grain .45/70 bullets I've tested were destroyed, and produced less penetration... Worth a thought.

Regards, Guy