Originally Posted by tjm10025

Originally Posted by BCBrian
I always loved the lyrics to "Imagine" by John Lennon. As an atheist...

Brian:

You like that song, do you? How about the rest of the lyrics.

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do

Or this.

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can

As a neo-Marxist, I mean. Not just an athiest.

- Tom

The European Economic Community is, an example of, what I think Lennon was talking about. 1000 years ago - till recently - Europe was nothing more than huge collection of warring Kingdoms and Principalities. Now, it is one, more or less a borderless continuum of comparatively peaceful, relatively prosperous states.

In regards to Lennon's other line you quoted - the one about "no possessions" - I've got to admit that I've done extremely well in the "collection of possessions" department. The way I live now - is beyond my wildest dreams growing up. People say I live in a mansion - set in the middle of a wildlife park.

But, I have also come to realize all my earthly wealth can't buy happiness. The only way to be truly rich is to reduce the desire for material things. You can either keep increasing what you want - or you can simply decrease what you think you need - in order to be truly "rich". I think John Lennon, with all of his huge material wealth - understood that.

Here's where I live. As far as you can see - I own. In addition, my own property is surrounded by thousands upon thousands of acres of Crown land that I can hunt on - whenever I wish.
[Linked Image]

Here's the creek running through the middle of my land. Huge salmon spawn there in the fall - trout live in it year round.
[Linked Image]

Here's the view from the hill behind me - looking down on my land.
[Linked Image]

Not too bad - at least, for a "Marxist" - eh? whistle

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."