I am wondering how far you think that the 222 remington is good for as a varmit gun. Several of the older books say that the gun is good for about 200 yards. That said we have the new plastic tipped bullets and more modern propellants than the had back in the 70s.

Back about ten years ago before we got coyotes in the area I used to hit woodchucks out to 250 on a fairly regular basis. Now between the flooding in my area and the predators I don't see enough woodchucks to make it worth going after them.

I always used to use the cheapest factory ammo possible because I didn't reload at the time. Now that I reload I tried to get some accuracy and velocity out of my gun. My one book hints that 3400 might be doable in my .222 with the 24 inch barrel and a 50 grain nosler ballistic tip bullet. I tried max charges of h335 and couldn't safely get past 3300. I did get four shots into slightly less than half an inch though which isn't too bad considering that my dad never really cleaned the gun and it has some bore pitting in it.

So now the big question for those that bothered to read my rambling. How far can you hit crows and woodchucks on a regular basis with a half inch .222 spitting a 50 grain ballistic tip 3300 fps? How far do you think that it be effective with a 40 grain grain ballistic tip going 3600 fps?

Do any of you have anY really accurate zippy .222 loads?

Last edited by 79inpa; 04/13/11.