Originally Posted by Palmetto
Gonna bring this one back to the top. Love shooting my ruger blackhawk in 45 colt.
Really want a lever gun in the same chambering after my smith showed me a Uberti in 45 c today. It was a 24 or 25" octagon barreled gun with a case hardened looking receiver and slick as could be. Action didn't seem like a super strong looking design to me, but I'm no engineer! Can these uberti guns handle 300 grain cor bon and buffalo bore hunting loads?
If not what could I get that could hit a deers' vitals or hog at 50-100 yards with open sights?
Not gonna shoot cowboy loads in this gun. Not into that at all. Practice with heavies and hunt with heavies. Looking to spend maybe $500-$1,000 for an accurate gun. Not crazy about most Marlin guns but if they made a more classic looking gun I'd take a look.
Gotta be strong and decent accuracy.
Want it to look good to!!!!
Thanks, thread was helpful.
If you are speaking of a toggle-link action, of which the Henry, 1866 and 1873 models are, then not just "no" but "HELL NO". These are weak actions as I said in another post on this thread and should not be used with anything more than standard 45 Colt loads or maybe even Cowboy loads. I consider "Standards" to be a bit hotter than Cowboy loads, which are a rather recent phenomenon. Regardless, you are talking "Ruger Only" or "+P" type 45 Colt loads which are way too hot for the three guns I mentioned. For them, you need a modern 1892 or clone or a Marlin.

As to tradition, Marlin makes this caliber in its "Cowboy" version, which looks pretty traditional to me. The '92s look traditional enough and if you're not planning on scoping it, will do you exceedingly fine.

Last edited by ColeYounger; 04/15/11.