Originally Posted by XLTFX4
Originally Posted by HOGGHEAD
Chalk me up as another big fan. I like the 45 Colt a tad bit more. But I also realy like the 44 magnum. 200 yards shots should be no problem for a guy who knows his rifle. I really like mine because I cast my own bullets and I can cast and load over 1,000 rounds for less than $100. How can you beat that?? Cast and load up a couple of thousand and put them down range. Then you will have no problem with a 200 yard shot. Tom.

What do you shoot at 200 yards with cast bullets? Here are the ballistics:

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/ballistics/44_rem_mag.html

With a MAX. load JACKETED 240 gr bullet you have 660 ft/lbs of energy at 200 yards.

Did you miss the part about putting a couple of thousand rounds down range and learning your rifle?? For about$200?? I can shoot a FL with PRB to 150 yards with no problem and open sights.

But if you must know. I cast a 240 grain bullet from straight WW. And push it with 21.0 grains of 2400.

Only problem with me is I do not read ballistic charts. And internet posts. I shoot my rifle. and I can guarantee you that a 240 grain bullet cast from straight WW will completely penetrate a deer(through and through) at 200 yards with no problem. And if you are the least bit concerned about mushrooming the bullet then add 50% pure lead to the mix to improve mushrooming.

You need to remember that a 44 magnum is a hole .429 going in. so 25% expansion on each side yields almost a one inch hole coming out. I am not sure what deer could walk away from that. If you only received 1/4" expansion on each side that is a 3/4" hole coming out. That is the idea behind a big bore. They do not depend on shock to kill, the big hole does the job. That is why I am constantly dropping the velocity on my 45-70. Speed in that ifle does not kill. The mass of the bullet kills, regardless of velocity. 1200 fps can be real deadly. You do not want to be hit by one going 1200 fps.

However I did not learn that from a chart. I learned that from picking up dead deer. Charts are useless to me. Except for fire starting kindling to fry deer steak on.

Heck I shoot ground hogs with my lever actions and FL rifles. You have to practice and know your weapon. If not then limit yourself to 75 yards and read some more charts.

However I will admit that I like the 45 Colt better than the 44 magnum. For two reasons. First the 45 Colt is an even bigger hole going in. And second I believe the recoil on a 44 magnum is a little more snappy than on the 45 Colt. I seem to have a tad bit more rifle control. And alot more revolver control with the 45 Colt. And you definitely do not want to be standing 200 yards out in front of my 45 Colt. Tom.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by HOGGHEAD; 04/19/11.

West By God Virginia