Splatter,

A good chunk of the road in from Cuba to Fenton Lake is dirt. Or it was as late as last November when I was wood cutting up there. If your coming down from the Farmington area with a big trailer San Ysidro is your best bet. There are 3 forest service camp grounds between Jemez Springs and the Valle. To my knowledge none have hookups with the possible exception of the Jemez Falls campground. If you like boondocking it there are plenty of forest service roads you can pull off on and camp. Probably the closest is called the Dome Road. I can't remember the road number off the top of my head but it runs from a few miles east of the Valle off st rd 4 all the way to cochiti lake. The first two miles are in Bandelier national monument and are closed to camping. After that there are 5-6 miles of easy fifth wheel road before it starts down the mountain and gets hairy.

Depending on how they allow you to access the caldera there is a road that starts on hwy 126 about halfway between La Cueva and Fenton Lake that runs north south along the western boudary of the Valle. The first few miles are fifth wheel friendly.

If you need road numbers let me know and I'll look them up for you. I drag a 28ft 5er all over the Jemez.

Sean

Last edited by Digs; 06/04/11.