Originally Posted by PAelksmacker
Guys, thanks for your responses, I'm going to look at the Ruger African in 375 Ruger today, the concerns that I have with the African is that it is light and I was worried about the recoil . I thought if I went with the RSM the extra weight would tame the recoil, apparently from what everyone is saying they are a ton to carry around. I also like the quarter rib on the RSM. I'm also concerned about the availability of ammo in Africa if the airlines lose my 375 Ruger ammo. I'll let you guys know what gun I finally end up with.
................Remember too, that 375 H&H ammo and/or rifle can get lost during transport by the airlines just as easily as 375 Ruger ammo and/or rifle can.

In either case, you`d have to use a back up rifle and its ammo provided for you by your PH, which your PH should have on hand for just such an event. This should be planned for and confirmed ahead of time via contact with your PH by e/mail should your ammo and/or your rifle get lost during transport.

This is why imo, all the hoop-la about 375 Ruger ammo or the lack there-of (for now) in So Africa is really way too overblown. As long as the PH provides a back-up rifle and ammo for you, then it doesn`t really matter whether you pack up a 375 H&H rifle and ammo or pack up a 375 Ruger rifle and its ammo, as either can be lost.

Airlines don`t discriminate, have preferences, or favorites as to which cartridges and rifles get through to its final destination and which ones do not.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger