Originally Posted by andrews1958
Do people actually hunt with a rifle or shotgun that has a high grade walnut or other type of wood stock?

Absolutely I hunt with my fine wood stocked rifles. As a friend of mine is fond of saying: "life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun". I put a lot of love and effort into my rifle projects - which makes it all the more rewarding to hunt with them. With my custom M70 below has taken an 8 1/2' brown bear, 30" aoudad, and a 185 whitetail - all last year. And it will be getting another hard season this year. My rifles are tools and get used and shot a LOT. I dont treat them any differently than i would a tupperware stocked gun and my rifles have the battle scars to show for it. Last season my M70 spent 2 days in torrential downpour in Alaska and 3 days in MO in solid rain the entire time. After the hunt all that is needed is a thorough wiping and oiling and it is as good as new.

There is a satisfaction and joy of hunting with a rifle that I have put the effort into from selecting the perfect blank to developing loads for the finished project that cant be matched with an off the shelf or tupperware stocked rifle.

I have a classy little full stocked Mauser in 7x57 project int he works and already have plans for it that will likely guarantee battle scars and I am really looking forward to it.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

William Berger

"True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway." - John Wayne