I recently had this under consideration....and bought a Taurus PT709. I went to a gunshop that let me shoot a Ruger LC9, a Kel-Tec PF-9, the Taurus, and some kinda Kahr 9mm compact.
Kahr - that Kahr is SUEWEEET! BUT, I only had $400 in the kitty at the absolute mostest, and the Kahr was far & away more than that.
Kel-Tec - shot very nice, but my finger kept pushing the front sight all over the darn place. it would take a bit of shooting to get sued to that
LC-9 - again very nice, and felt like a step-up from the Kel-Tec. The pull for both of these was again heavy enough to make accurate shooting a bit more challenging.
PT709. I got this because of the single-action/double-action firing mode. This is basically like a Glock, but if you read any of the reviews they all say the same thing - although the trigger has a comparitively long take up, if is super-light, with 2nd strike capability, it made my deicisison as being the easiest/most accurate to shoot by far.

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.