I was looking at this problem and I can't seem to figure out how you guys got only 3.5" of POI change from +0.03" front sight height. I am guessing you are using ~31" as the distance between the front and rear sight.

For my 22" barrel, if one used 21.5" as the distance between the front and rear sights (to be conservative), I get ~5" of POI change at 100 y from 0.03" change in sight height. That is:

(100y)(3')(12") * (0.03"/21.5") ~= 5"

where the tangent may be neglected for extremely small angles.

Also, I tend to put the center of the front bead right on the target center with a peep rear, i.e. there's no way I can do a six o-clock hold which such a sight picture. If you thus go for a blade/ramp front sight of the same +0.03" height, you actually additionally get the radius of the front bead added to the sight height because you can now hold a true six o-clock hold. Pretty cool eh? wink

I have also been playing around with the NECG rear peep for the #1. You CAN get it to travel further down by more than 0.03" by just removing the height adjustment screw which limits the downward travel. If you want more travel, you will have to file down the main sight body's U-channel which the aperature must clear and perhaps file off some material from the bottom of the piece which travels up and down and carries the aperature because it may hit the top of the guns receiver. If you still want use of the sight adjustment screw, you can drill into the top hole in which that screw sits to extend downwards travels at the expense of losing some upwards travel.

I plan on doing both to my sights as well as dehorn/lighten my rear NECG peep while I am at it.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by alukban; 06/13/11.