I recently bought a couple of new scopes,a Leupold vx3 in 3.5-10x50 with a heavy duplex,and a Swarovski Z3 in 4-12x50 with a 4a reticle.

I sighted both in the same day on a pair of Remigton M700s both chambered in 280 Remington.

Optically the scopes were very close,with almost imperceptable differences in color fidelity and resolution. There was maybe a 2% advantage in both with the Swarovski,which admittedly costs about twice as much.

I did much prefer the reticle of the Swarovski,the thin part is thinner than the corresponding part of the heavy duplex,which made it easier to shoot itty bitty groups on paper from a bench. Likewise the thick part of the Swarovski reticle appeared bolder than the heavy section of the heavy duplex making it stand out a little better in low light.

If Leupold would produce a glass etched euro style reticle in 4a or Z plex style,I'm not sure I'd ever buy another Euro scope.

If your hunting needs are met with a regular Leupold duplex,I'd buy two Leupolds instead of one Swarovski.

For hunting in low light,I have to give a slight advantage to the Swaro,better reticle,very slightly better optics.But I have to admit for most folks it's probably not worth the 500 extra bucks.

That's how I see them.

That's my opinion,flame suit on. grin

Last edited by ruraldoc; 06/16/11.