I have a .358 Norma, so it can push bullets quite a bit faster than a .35 Whelen -- and perhaps make bullets fail that might be OK at Whelen velocities.

Just for something to do (and to play with my new .358 toy!), I used it for some bullet testing in water filled milk jugs and in waterlogged phone books.

Based on my bullet testing, I can say that the 250gr Speer spitzer was a lot more likely to come apart than a Hornady 250gr Interlock spire point. Even the lightest loads I could find listed for the .358 Norma mag and 250 gr bullets made the Speer bullets fragment and they gave little penetration. Likely fine for deer, likely bad for moose, IMNSHO.

I do not recall if Speer makes a round nose (which could perform quite differently) but the pointed bullets I had were "Hot Cor".

Lastly, the lightest load I tested were still probably faster than the .35 Whelen, so it may well be that the Speer bullets are perfect at lower velocities.

Oh, and water filled milk jugs and soggy phone books are not critters -- just to save somebody from posting the obvious! wink

John