Originally Posted by DELGUE
Without wishing to introduce a dog into this argument, I think that bullet weight has more relevance than just the 15 grains difference in weight. Along with that weight difference I think you find perhaps a little different bullet construction, since the bullet makers assume that the heavier bullets are going to be used on progressively bigger game and perhaps make the jackets a little thicker to slow expansion and hold together. I would suggest that it's more this difference in construction than the mere difference in 15 grains of weight that perhaps makes the heavier bullets a somewhat better choice for larger game. That being said, not all bullets are equal, so some bullets may be functional on bigger game at lighter weights. I would not necessarily construe this to hold true for all bullets in a lighter weight class.

thats a valid point Ive loaded SPEER 200 grain bullets
http://www.speer-bullets.com/ballistics/detail.aspx?id=103

for about 25 years in most of our elk hunt groups ammo for 30/06 rifles, and it has a great reputation,and has become a standard, load, in our camp, Ive seen the 165 grain used on mule deer and it works great, but theres not much in similarity in how the two expand, the 200 grain hot core has a noticeably more controlled expansion.
Im sure with correct shot placement either will kill elk ,but after seeing years of results I,d suggest the 200 grain speer with zero hesitation

Last edited by 340mag; 07/14/11.