Originally Posted by pharmvet
from Miles58 - "Dumb ass question. Dumb ass argument."

This statement is un-called for. What is this forum for, except to share ideas, information, experiences, and opinions.

Scenarshooter made a very good point here in my opinion regarding perceived noise. I have noticed that I can shoot my .222 with 26" bbl with comfort sans hearing protection, whereas a .223 with shorter barrel is uncomfortable for me to do the same. Im sure the .223 has more muzzle blast, but it has always been my theory that the longer barrel helped with this. Also, Ive heard avid duck hunters express distain for sharing a blind with someone shooting short barreled shotguns because of the loud muzzleblast that accompanied it. I was hoping the 26" barrel on a .270 might make shooting it a bit more pleasant. Just a thought.
.............Having shorter barrels requires trade-offs. Certain things ya gain while certain things like more noise and blast you must be able to tolerate and be comfortable with.

Hi powered cartridges fired from shorter barreled rifles are certainly not for most. I have two of them. Bought them for me and not for anyone else`s consideration. I duly warn those around me before the fun begins, and then they can either do their due diligence or not.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger