Originally Posted by WinModel70
I thought you had to have government clearance to get in the Zeiss plant in Germany? WildAlaska must have some friends in high places.

Couldnt get into certain areas of the plant...but had a nice tour and the folks there are nice people.

So let me repeat...based on what I was told and saw at Zeiss plant. the tubes and erector assemblies for all Zeiss scopes are all made right there. The lenses (ie ocular and onbjective) were being made and ground there. The boxes of raw glass I saw were labeled as being made in Taiwan, which I understand is the source of much of the raw glass used in the optic industry.

Conquest glass and Diavari glass is the same but for coatings. Coatings is where the cost is anyway

Glass is glass, it could be made in peru as long as it is of the correct formulation. Its the grinding and the coating that set scopes apart from each other.

WildihopethatclearsthisupAlaska ��2002-2011

By the way, if you really want to get some hackles running, lets talk about how the Euro rail tubes are stronger than the US non railed tubes smile

Last edited by Wildalaska; 08/03/11.

Es ist nichts schrecklicher als eine t�tige Unwissenheit.