I'm on my second .357 Magnum, a 3 inch M60 S&W. My previous one being a four inch M28 Smith.
I've never cared much for the muzzle blast and recoil for the power one gets. So, over the years I've tried to find a load that gives good velocity but not nearly as much blast and recoil.
I started out using Unique powder and 158 gr. bullets. Never did get much velocity or bullet energy. But, in all honesty, I didn't try any more than 7 grs. of that powder.
Up until now, I've been using Ramshot's True Blue. Lots of power. but lots of blast and recoil too. I went all the way to 9.8 grs. with a lead bullet. Since it was pretty mean to handle in a small frame gun, I tried less of it. But even at 8.6 grs., it was still pretty loud and kicked pretty hard.
So, since Ramshot's ZIP would give about the same velocities as the True Blue loads, I tried that.
I was very surprised to find that it made quite a difference. 6.7 grs. clocks 1228 fps. with 158 gr. jacketed bullet. Even 9.5 grs. of True Blue only does 1258 fps out of a six inch barrel accordinhg to Ramshot.
I can tell you that that load with a lead SWC shoots the same zero as my CCI 158 HP factory stuff, but kicks noticably less.
I don't know about you, but I'd happily give up the difference between the slower powders like Ramshot's Enforcer and use ZIP in my little three inch. 14 grs. of Enforcer can reach 1320 fps. at 34,000 psi according to Ramshot with a six inch barrel. ZIP can only reach 1228 fps. at 31,680 psi but with 6.7 grs. In other words, half the powder. Gotta tell ya, it sounds and feels like half the blast and recoil too. E