I have a Savage 24V 30/30 over 20ga. I bought it several years ago. Shortly thereafter something apparently broke inside. The lever would not turn and therefore the barrel would not break open. I opened it up and determined that the "top snap sleeve" looked worn. I put it back together and put it in the safe, thinking I'll get to it next week.

10 years later, I'm thinning the herd, found the 24 and decided to fix it up to sell. Ordered the parts, a top snap lever, top snap sleeve and top snap screw (parts 25, 50 & 51, on the Gun Parts Corp schematic.)

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=3944

After two blood soaked band aids, scuffed knees from searching for the launched locking bolt plunger and related springs, I get it reassembled.

It does not open. Without the locking bolt plunger, the lever works fine and the barrel breaks open easily. With the plunger, the lever will not turn. I made sure the spring flanges were against the receiver frame to avoid binding the lever. I do not see anything binding.

The only thing I can think of is the hole into which the locking bolt plunger resides is binding.

I would appreciate any other suggestions.