One of the most amazing "nature show" I've ever witnessed involved dragonflies at Henry Coe State Park in California. We backpacked down into a dry valley that had a small running stream, with a large pool where we camped. I was filling water bottles from the pool when the dragonflies emerged from whereever they hide during the heat of the day. Must've been a dozen or so - some in colors that I'd never seen here in KY - and they were all skimming just above the surface of the water in a hypnotic, almost-dance-like pattern. I swear I think they were doing perfectly choreographed Figure 8s as they fed on smaller flying insects. Probably watched them for a half hour or so, until it started getting closed to dusk and all the dragonflies vanished as quickly as they'd arrived. It's then that the bats came out, and began flying those same aerial patterns. If ever I've wished I had a high-end camera, that was it.

"At the bottom of the pyramid, America is a ruthlessly punitive and accountability-obsessed society. At the top of the pyramid, it is endlessly forgiving. Before trust can be restored, accountability has to be established."