Everyday Hunter,
Back in my day, me grand Irish Mom's shopping bag was a strong reuseable hemp cinch string one. We didn't have no stink'n Trolley Car, Bus, or Bicycle. We had Horses. Me Da had a car which he used ta go to work and church. We got on the train to go see relatives most of the time because cars were not that reliable then and our roads were all local roads to nowhere in particular instead of thru roads. Also, our version of the interstate highway was good old Route 1 that went up and down the east coast when it was finally finished. Only trouble was it didn't pass through here and was about a 60 mile drive over back roads to get on it. We bought food, tools, clothes, gas and parts fer Da's car, medicine, and guns plus ammo at the General store or ordered it from either Sears & Roebuck or Western Auto.

Another thing, we worked a five day work week back then instead of 24 X 7 X 365. We turned the damn lights off after we were done fer the day ta save money and show folks we had closed things up. Yep, we locked up by 6:00PM weekdays and 4:00PM Saturdays for the weekend to go home to the family. NOBODY WORKED ON SUNDAY BECAUSE IT WAS AGAINST THE BLUE LAWS AND EVERYBODY WAS EXPECTED TO BE IN CHURCH WITH THEIR WHOLE FAMILY. There weren't no Daylight (Bull$h!t) Savings Time neither. Just one time, which was the Correct Time. Folks planned ahead fer when things weren't going to be open and prepared for the unexpected eventuality. It was called RESPONSIBILITY and learned at a very young age.

Another thing. Kids & Adults with long guns were relaxing in a recreational kinda way instead of mass murdering & mayhem. Pistols were fer very serious encounters where folks really didn't like each other none. Knuckles settled minor disputes and knives/razors were only used by Hobos, Drunks, Convicts, Whores, and other LOW LIFES. Justice used to be very swift and sure. All murderers got hung (Capitol Punishment to ya youngins) cuz ropes is recycleable, efficient, and cheap (Very Green). Oh yeah! So who says we weren't environmentalists?

There is only about another million more ways we practiced conservation but I don't have the time or the room here to elaborate on it further. However, generally speaking, we used things up, wore things out, and improvised when it weren't available. Folks today toss things in the trash or dump because they don't like the color, it makes noise, or there is a new "IMPROVED ONE" that they think they just gotta have right away even though they ain't got the money ta pay fer it. So, I guess we old folks is ta blame fer not beating the tar out of the next generation ta keep 'em from learning our old, stupid, wasteful ways. Therefore, I repent and I am prepared ta mend my terrible ways. Now all ya gotta do is just stay here a little while longer ta assume the position after I finish whittling down this green piece of willow branch so I kin correct things fer ya......Hey!....Where tha hell are ya all going?....I'm almost done.

Flower Child