Fellow Campfire Members;
Although this recovery is from a mule deer and as such should possibly go into the Deer Hunting sub forum, hopefully it's OK that I throw this up here.

The bullet started as a 130gr. .270 GMX which according to my reloading notes seems to exit the 22" barrel at 2850fps most days.

The buck involved was what I'd estimate to be a 3rd rack mulie that went 132lbs carcass weight.

He was very much downhill from me when I shot, at least 45�. I'd estimate he was between 50yds and 75yds away, quartering towards me with his body oriented slightly uphill.

The bullet struck mid left scapula, then broke two ribs before removing the lower lobes on the left side. It then went just through the diaphragm and lodged under the skin about 2" behind the last short rib on the right side.

Entry side showing outside of scapula. Bullet didn't blow up on entry.
[Linked Image]

Exit side of scapula showing damage to tissue and scapula itself.
[Linked Image]

Entry damage to ribs on left side.
[Linked Image]

Bullet is .530" at widest point and the recovered bullet plus fragment weigh 125gr.
[Linked Image]

The .270 GMX is shown in the center for comparison to a recovered 80gr. Barnes TTSX - .250AI - on the left and a 168gr. Barnes TSX - .308 Norma - on the right.
[Linked Image]

The Barnes products both retained a slightly higher percentage of their original weight, but overall I'm pleased with the performance of the GMX on deer. This is the 3rd deer killed with the combination.

As a side note, this fellow did manage to run about 150yds after being hit although he was visibly rocked when hit and heavily favored his left front as he ran.

I can only speculate as to why some will run a ways and some not that far with what would appear to me to be very similar tissue damage.

Anyway hopefully this is some use to someone around our cyber 'Fire this morning. Thanks for looking and good luck to you all on your upcoming hunts.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"