There's been lots of talk about Stith mounts this week around here. Here's some photos of a different style mount that I picked up from 300Jimmy last month. It's a Miller Kodiak Dream Mount from the 50s.[Linked Image]

The mount was advertised as being almost universal in its application, and this is almost true. It seems to fit just about any rifle that has a rear sight dovetail and side ejection. It uses a dovetail block in the rear sight dovetail (similar to a Stith) and tension from a spring steel bar to force the rear saddle down onto the receiver. Like a Stith, it requires no extra holes.

After a lot of hemming and hawing, I decided to try it on my 1930s Savage 45 Super Sporter in 30-30. Installation was pretty simple (thanks to the instructions provided by Mike and Steve). I removed the existing rear sight and tapped in the dovetail block:
[Linked Image]

Then I slid the spring steel mount over the dovetail block and pivoted the mount up and over the receiver, letting the spring tension settle the rear saddle in place:[Linked Image]

When it's in place, the mount seems really rigid, and it sits nice and square. I feared that there wouldn't be enough eye relief with the old Weaver K2.5, but even though it sits further ahead than I would prefer, it still works fine.
[Linked Image]

I just mounted this today and haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but I'm pleased with the way it looks and handles with the scope in place. I may have to take it out to the woods this season.
[Linked Image]

Rod

Last edited by Phil99; 10/13/11.

Hunting FOR Savages, Hunting WITH Savages