Several have mentioned the smell of Hoppe's #9. How many of you older posters (as I am) remember the smell of the old, orginal Hoppe's #9? The smell has changed slightly through the years, probably due to some rediculous EPA rules that caused them to make it 'safer' to use.

I worked for a large sporting goods retailer for several years and we bought many used guns and did quite a bit of gun trading. Anyway, one day a couple in their 30's brought in some guns to sell that had belonged to an old relative. They also had a box along that had some ammo in it along with some cleaning supplies. We bought the guns. Later that night I was looking in the box of goodies and found a bottle of Hoppe's#9. I opened and WOW...the OLD stuff. I called another employee about my age over and asked him to smell the Hoppe's. He got a big grin on his face after taking a good wiff and replied, "That's the good, old stuff." The younger employees thought we were crazy until we opened a new bottle and had them compare the smell. They agreed that their was a definite difference in the smell and most preferred the smell of the 'good, old stuff'. The younger generation today will never know some of the good smells from the past.