I own a Ruger PC-4 .40 carbine and a .410 shotgun. The .40 would be head and shoulders above the .410 slug for use on deer.

As stated above, the .410 slug only weighs about 80 grains vs. 180 for the .40. The bullet diameters are similar. I would expect the .40/180 from the carbine to be doing about 1150-1200 fps, which would be somewhat less than the .410 slug, but the .40/180 would have more than twice the ME of the .410 slug, and much better SD and bullet construction for hunting. It would penetrate much better than the slug, and it would also be more accurate. As stated below, it will duplicate the performance of a .38/40 rifle, and that was a common deer hunting tool way back when.

I have never hunted with the carbine, but have killed a few deer with a .40 S&W handgun as a LEO. It seems to work about as well as a .357 revolver. I wouldn't be afraid to hunt deer with a .40 carbine if shots were limited to 100 yards or less, depending on the accuracy of the carbine. I've never shot mine at targets farther than 50 yards away, and it shot groups of about 2 1/2 inches at that range as I recall.

I would avoid the lighter .40 caliber bullets and use a good 180 gr. JHP.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 10/27/11.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...