I just got back from a good late season draw hunt in Idaho unit 42. I've drawn this tag 4 times and this is my third buck. He's not the biggest I've gotten in the unit, but is a nice buck.

[Linked Image]

The horns are 26", but don't have much mass in them. He was up on a hillside with a bunch of does, and three other smaller bucks. They are on the shelf just above the top left of the roof of the UTV in this picture.

[Linked Image]

We spotted him at about 800 yards, and sneaked up thru the sage until we were at the base of the hill, under a large Juniper tree. I lasered him at 365 yards, so I put my pack on the ground and went prone. I was using my Winnie M70 270 custom (BXroads old rifle).

[Linked Image]

The scope is a Conquest 3-9X, and the load is a Hornady 140 grain BTSP, over 58.0 gr of H4831SC. He was more or less facing me, slightly turned, downhill. I held for the front shoulder, just below the top of his back. I hit him in the front shoulder, and the bullet went through the shoulder, some ribs, the heart, and ended up in the liver. The buck stumbled down hill a few yards and collapsed into a bitter brush bush. The rest of the gang scattered on up the hill. I shot him at 4:20, and it took us about 90 minutes to drag him down the hill and do the gutless field dress on him.

We had a good hunt. We hunted for 5 days and looked at a lot of bucks. The coming years should be good ones. I never did find a big one, so I feel pretty good about this one. We drug up this morning in a light snow storm.

[Linked Image]

My partner still has a tag, so we will likely be heading back down this weekend, hoping that the weather and the rut will bring a big one out for him.

Last edited by tominboise; 11/13/11.

Regards,

Tom