Originally Posted by brymoore
I'm about to pull the plug on a Kimber 84L. I'm a 270 guy and thought think this would be my perfect rifle in that caliber. I was talking to a buddy about it yesterday and he thought I was crazy for not getting a 280AI. He went off on a rather long rant naming the reasons that the 280AI was superior to the 270.

At this point, I can be persuaded. Which is best? I'm a one rifle guy so this rifle will be used for everything ID has to offer.

Everyone is in a hurry to talk/flaunt speeds outta da gate,which is often close to moot,unless your interest is in actually putting powder burns on gates.

Because boolits matter more than headstamps,they fully control/define the speed at which they impact downrange(which is much different from launch speeds at the gate) and in conjunction with same,how much they drop/drift and how hard they slap schit downstream. So the most fruit is born by selection of the boolit that retains the most speed,in conjunction with a healthy initial launch and by giving boolit construction/integrity a thunk as well. It's a balancing act and suplizingly few are even aware of the cause/affects,fewer yet frost their own cakes. Long story short,the 270 can't hang. Nor the 25-06 or the 25-06AI and I shoot them all.

The 280AI is a great use of capacity in regards to COAL latitude and they are twisted right out of the gate,to afford nice things to be arranged by superior projectiles and both their initial and residual velocities. As an aside,it slips atmospheric conditions exceptionally. It will stay supersonic to a mile,retain a 2000fps impact velocity to the 725yd line,with but 3.4MOA of full value drift at same and easily has the ass to CRUNCH critters to 1000yds+. All of that with modest recoil,modest weight,modest over all length and very mild manners across the course.

CDS is junk and you are pissing up a rope there.

You've been led to water.