I just finished three days hunting with a Lyman All-American 4x and a Leupold FXII 3x20. Mostly I hunted with the Lyman. Sadly I left my binoculars on the kitchen floor when I went to camp.

The Lyman has a tapered post and crosshair reticle, and seemed very clear for a scope that age. Not quite clear enough. A deer came out of the thick woods into the thin woods(50% canopy hard wood just logged last winter)I was hunting with about 15-20 minutes of legal light left. In other words it was dim, but not dark. The deer was an accurately measured 70 yd. away. I thought I was shooting a doe, but when I got to him I found a nice six-point. He had a tall rack that I just never saw with that scope. The scope worked great for aiming and shooting, just not seeing fine detail. With the various antler restrictions I have to put up with I'll have to be more careful when and how I use this scope.

The 3x20 has a standard duplex, but that may have to change. With 15 minutes left the thin section had disappered against most backgrounds, but the thick section could still be seen. At the end of the day I sure was missing my 6x42 with a #1. The 3x20 will have to stay though, because it is on a Savage 99.

One feature that binoculars need is something to prevent me from leaving them at home or at camp. Maybe just paying more for them helps. laugh

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.