MarkinGA,

I know exactly what you are talking about and have tried to explain it to others before. A guy who hunts out west simply cannot fathom the heat and the wet nasty swamps and briars that exist in south Georia (I used to be stationed at Fort Steward and that is one swampy, nasty place).

I used to a use a 25-06 on S.C. whitetails but had 2-3 very hard tracking jobs due to very poor bloodtrails - much more skimpy than the .270, 30-06 and 7mm had left in years past. I don't know why the blood trails were smaller, but they were - sometimes non-existent. I killed 13 deer the year I used the 25-06 but the 2-3 skimpy bloodtrails were enough to cause me to switch at the end of the year. The S.S. deer season starts in August and humidity is very high. Deer have to be found quickly and it's no fun searching in a hot, steamy swamp with mosquitios all over you. I ended up bumping up my caliber to .264 winchester with 140 grain bullets and the probably was definitly solved.

Why use a .243 in your type of conditions when you can get much better performance on game with a 7mm-08 with basically the same recoil?