I pulled the same "stunt" this year! I had never hunted with the .30 WCF either. Seemed like a good year to do it, so I picked up a couple boxes of 170 grain Remington Corelokt Hollow Points, mounted an ancient Bushnell Banner in Talley lightweights on my little brother's Marlin 336, and hit the woods.

The first deer I hit at about 125 yards or so, and she looked like someone jerked the rug out from under her. I was amazed by the lack of noise at the shot, and the immediate reaction to the hit by the deer. I was also pleased by the lack of recoil.

The second deer was hit on the run at about 20 yards. Same deal, entrance through the ribcage on the left side, exit through the right shoulder. Deer rolled like a rabbit.

This weekend, I took my son hunting with me, and after he got an 8 point with his .257 Roberts, he wanted to trade rifles and hunt with the old .30-30. He shot a button buck through the neck at about 45 yards or so, and dropped it with no muss or fuss.

Overall, I am completely impressed with the deer killing abilities of the cartridge. It won't be the last year I take one deer hunting with me. (That is if I can pry it out of my son's hands.)

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis