Originally Posted by fish head
One interesting observation I've made in bullet choice threads is the Hornady IL rarely has any naysayers. With almost every other type of bullet there's always controversy or conflicting experiences.

Call me something less than a fan. My first big game animal, a bull elk in the early 1980's, dropped to a 162g BTSP from my 7mm RM, range around 110 yards estimated. The bullet center-punched a rib leaving a crater on the back side, missed the far side ribs and came to rest under the hide. Retained weight was 77.2g or 47.7%.

I didn't (and still don't) consider that was much of a challenge to a bullet's integrity and switched to 160g Speer Grand Slams the following year. It took me 20 years to recover one of the Grand Slams and when it did it had destroyed both shoulder joints of a 5x5 bull before coming to rest under the hide. Shot range was again about 110 yards estimated. The Grand Slam retained 113.7g or 71.1% of its weight, or 47.3% more than the Hornady.

Yes, the first bull died, so by some yardsticks it is hard to say the bullet failed. Every animal I shot with the Grand Slams died as well, though, and I had and still have a lot more confidence in their ability to penetrate. I quit using them after Speer changed the core but my hunting buddy continued to use them and they continued to do the job. I think he is still waiting to recover one.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.