Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Indy,

If you want to play the numbers game, it's VERY EASY to get 2800 fps from a 350-grain bullet in the .416 Rigby. No loading manuals show that, because they limit it to old-time pressures, but for all practical purposes it will equal the .416 Weatherby, since case capacity is almost identical.

Barnes just brought out a 350 Tipped TSX in .416. They don't list a BC for it yet on their website, but since the BC for the standard 350 TSX is .357 we can assume the new bullet should be near .400.

I ran the numbers on the .416 350 TTSX at 2800, sighted-in 2" high at 100 yards, and find that it's down 23" at 400, with a remaining velocity of just about 2000 fps, for about 3100 foot-pounds of energy.

The .458 350-grain TSX at 2750 is down 30" at 400, with a remaining velocity of 1650 fps (doubtful expansion) and 2100 foot-pounds.

John, NOW you have done it!!!! I now have to try to sell my stash of about 300 Barnes TSX 350's and get the tipped version smile Wow, I can envision myself making a trip for plains game with only that rifle in hand. Should leave blood trails that Helen Keller could follow.

BTW, my brown bear loads for my 416 were pretty much spot on identical to what you mentioned in this thread. If one can handle the recoil, the 'ol 416 Rigby can duplicate closely the 416 Weatherby. The one bear I got to use this load on left a blood trail on both sides of his exit trail into the Alders that looked like someone was pouring two cans full of red paint onto either side of the path. Not easy to make that kind of a blood trail with all of the fat and fur that a brown bear carries in October.

Luvin this thread and discussion!

MARK

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500