Looked for years for a clean and in good shape 98 Mauser sporterized or a sporter model. Never found one nice enough that I could afford. Few years a go a local gunshop sold out all its firearms inventory,they had a new M700 Classic in 8x57 for $350 so I bought it. Put a Redfield 1 pc base on it Redfield low rings an old K4 Weaver that has been a good one for me on it.Tuned the trigger. Started shooting it with 150 gr Hornady Spire Pts and R-15 about 2800 fps ,last go around IMR 3031 at near the same velocity. Just a sample of 2 whitetail does avg size. One went 40 uds shot thru the lungs and the other drt going thru the blade and spine exiting in frt of the far shoulder. You can't tell the difference in the job it did with a 30-06 or 308 using the same weight and brand of bullets. I've used all 3 with 150 gr Horn SP's, so I know. I have not used any of the weak loaded factory ammo for hunting with it yet,but I'm sure it works. I do have some of the 180 NBT's ,170 gr Sierras, and 185 Rem Corelokts to try in the future but as of yet haven't used them.I got a deal on a bag of brand new RP brass so it is what I am using with no complaints. I doubt you will be disappointed in the 8x57,its the German 30-06. Magnum Man

Last edited by Magnum_Man; 12/13/11.