Originally Posted by GF1
Originally Posted by Doctor_Encore
The longer the barrel the less visual lead is required in front of the intended target.

That's why almost all O/U seen on skeet fields these days are 30".

Doc

Can't agree here. The perception is the same for me and my guns. When I use a swing through technique (virtually all of my hunting), I find that the shorter barrels move faster to the target and as a result I need to see less lead with them on hard crossing targets than I do with longer barrels. The short barrels start moving faster (and stop moving faster too) than longer tubes.

The reason for popularity of longer barrels at the target games in general, not just skeet, is handling dynamics that are a combination of balance, moment of inertia, fit, etc. The longer barrels, in general and all else being equal, are easier to keep moving than shorter barrels. This makes it more difficult to commit a primary sin of wingshooting - stopping one's gun.

+ 1 Big time! Lead is lead and it has absolutely nothing to do with barrel length. Either you are a "swing through" shooter where you essentially pull the trigger as you pass through the target as you accelerate your barrels at the same time to generate the required lead. Or you shoot sustained lead, where you always keep the barrel if front of the target and match the angular velocity of the barrels to the speed of the target then pull the trigger. Either way works, sustained has higher probability of success. Neither has anything to do with barrel length. However depending on your style a longer barrel (sustained lead) or a shorter barrel (swing through) may feel better to you. I prefer a 28" barrel on all o/u or sxs guns and a 26" bbl on autos for ALL upland hunting coast to coast, and add 2" to those measurements for target or waterfowl guns.

And perhaps more to the original OPs question - there is no effective ballistic difference between 26 and 28" shotgun barrels.

"Do you want it "Right", or "Right now"? - always a good question.