Nailbender59,

Many years ago I did some penetraton testing when I was using my .454 for most of my hunting. I wrote almost one hundred pages of notes about hunting with it. I once killed a deer with it that was behind a log. The deer was filled with wood chips and yet the 260 grainer exited. Anyway to answer the question.......

We will have a comparison between a couple of the partitions and a couple of the Casull loads. The test media used was dry oak shavings. Oak shavings are not the same as an elk shoulder or the brisket of a deer, but the medium was the same for all the bullets. Several of each were fired across the chronograph during the course of testing for accuracy. Those velocities will be listed as the impact velocities because the dust was closer than the electric eyes were. I fired a 300 grain XTP (old style) into the dust at about 1,630 fps. I spent the next ten minutes searching for it. It weighed 291 grains and had opened into an advertising quality mushroom with a rough diameter of 5/8". It traveled forty-six inches into the shavings.

The shavings were restored to approximately their original condition. A 7MM Coyle Wildcat, which later was legitimized as a 7MM Shooting Times Westerner, fired a 160 grain 7MM partition into the dust at 3,375 fps. The little high velocity projectile went fifty inches. It weighed 106 grains. All lead in front of the partition was gone. The bullet mushroomed all the way back to the partition exposing a frontal diameter of about � inch.

The 175 grain 7MM buried itself fifty-two inches with its impact velocity of 3,150 fps. It weighed 111 grains and still retained a little lead in front of the partition. The mushroom was about 7/16 inch across.

The real surpriser was the 260 grain Freedom Arms. There are two surprises. Despite the fact it is called soft point, and has a lot of �lead� exposed, there was no deformation or discernable weight loss. The only evidence of hitting the shaving at 1,925 fps was the edge of the meplat looked as though one had smoothed it with fine sandpaper. The second surprise: The depth of penetration was a winning, if there was a contest, fifty-six inches. You can extrapolate from this info to determine what your firearm might do.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter