Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Originally Posted by highridge1
What's wrong with Leupolds ring for sako's ? They seem fine to me.With the design of the taper of the groove, the ring can only get tighter.
Under recoil I agree but if the scope takes a wrap from the front it could pop right off, this system doesn't seem very secure in my eyes. The reason I don't like the Leupold ringmounts is a little experiment I made with them several years ago, I mounted these rings on a Sako mod 75 with a 1" dowel instead of a real scope to test for frontal impact as I had my doubts about this system, I tightened the clamp on rings to 40 inch pounds of torque and it only took one decent wrap from a 16 oz hammer too the front of the dowel and they flew right off, this was an experiment I came up with to see how the system would react to a hit from the front, as I said in an earlier post I never had any trouble at the range or in the field with the Sako or the Talley base ring set up but I also never tried this same experiment with ether of these, I only did it the one time as I was afraid of scratching the receiver of my rifle, I don't think one decent wrap to the front of a dowel mounted in screw on ringmounts would have any effect though I have never tried...............Hb

The scope would be F'd so the mounting system is a moot point.