Bob,

You know the �magic� .264 Win Mag drifts as we had to hold off quite a bit on that breezy afternoon.

To be honest it is most likely more of a thing of confidence in what you are shooting and feeling like you have the best solution to the problem.

To at least 600yds the idea of shooting a .270 Win is simply no excuse for a bad shot. Everything drifts in the wind.

The only elk I killed this year was at 175yds and any reasonable cartridge would have worked as well as the .264 Win Mag, but it sure worked.

I did spend a lot of time chasing a ghost in the most wide open country imaginable and carrying the .264 Win Mag simply meant that I had more �gun reach� than �shooter reach�.

I like having the shooter be the limiting factor in the equation and when I am packing that .264 (yes you know and have shot the one) I know the gun will never be �the problem�. That rifle setup simply out reaches anything I have ever seen.

Makes me try and be a better shooter.

All that BS being said, if you can�t kill an elk with the .270 Win then perhaps �elk hunting school� might be a better use of funds than a new rifle in a �better� elk cartridge. grin

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.