Wasn't hunting, but when I was about 12 years old I was staying with my grandfather north of Roy Montana on the ranch. I would do that in the summer time for about a month helping him around the ranch.

We were moving cows back to the breaks and we came upon a really nice 5x5 mule deer buck skeleton hanging high up in a tree. It was hung up so the nose was at least 6 feet off the ground and was hanging by his rear legs. The complete skeleton was intact and was all bleached out. Hard to say how long it had been there. As anyone who has hunted the Missouri Breaks will agree, it is wild country and it's easy to lose your bearings. We guessed that some hunter shot this great big buck and he and his buddy put him way up off the ground to protect him from coyotes and other animals and would come back later to retrieve the deer. Likely they could not find the spot again so there he stayed.

Sure wished I would have had a camera with me. It was pretty darn neat. I imagine some poor hunter was just sick to himself after taking all that time to make sure his trophy didn't get eaten up, only to not be able to find him again.