Recoil is a big deal for kids. Not easy to find light loads in the stores as they dont sell to macho buyers. Rem and Win have them online at midway and others but $.
I have had very good luck with 7\8 oz reloads in a 12 ga hull for kids. We cut down a 26" barrel rem 870 and an 1100 to 12.5 inches length of pull with a 1 inch kick eez pad.
As was stated, start at one station and shoot it till they break it every time.

Dont be worried if the first few visits are 10 shot deals. A few broken targets will go a long way to a happy kid. If they cant break a flyer the first few visits guarantee them a broken clay, then place 4 stacked on the ground at 15 yds and let them blast it. Big praise for the fist dead clays!

If you can find it, a high incoming target that lands about 10 yds in front of the shooter, is the easy first bird. But Low 7 works too.
Shoot low 1 a lot after they break a few birds. The right to left pulls the gun into the cheek and the hard crossing bird requires a good swing on the bird. Use a skeet choke and shoot it till they hit it every time. This will give them a good start on shooting a moving bird.
Watch the cheek on the stock. If it is not down use the dollar bill trick. Load the gun, place a folded dollar between cheek and stock and tell them they keep it if it dosnt hit the ground. Call Pull!.

Enjoy it and make it fun.

My guys love shooting out of the coffin Blind...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Enjoy

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......