Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell

Depending on the shooter, scopes can be a limiting factor. Some people have a hard time acquiring a target in their scope when hunting. This is especially true if the game is moving. For many of us, iron sights are faster, especially at 22RF ranges. Obviously, this is a personal thing.

The only reason anyone would have for not finding a scope better/faster on moving game is that many vastly over scope many guns. A good 1.5-4x or 2-7x solves this problem. Ya, if you get a scope so big it looks like the rifle hangs from it you will have issues. The other myth often perpetrated is that scopes are more fragile than iron sights. I've broken far more open sights than scopes in the field. As a matter of fact, I've never busted a scope. Disadvantage? They do get in the way on some guns.

Personally bolt action .22lrs bore the heck outta me. My top choice is a 10/22 but you stated you don't care for their feel and I can accept that (although you can get them with longer barrels and better stocks. i.e. the former Walmart Special pictured below). [Linked Image] You might try a Rem 597 and the idea of the Marlin 39 is a great one, I also like the feel of the Henry pumps. I could die a happy man without ever holding or shooting another Marlin 60 or the older pump guns.

CB