...the old saying "you get what you pay for" when it comes to air guns and optics is especially true for shooters. Power and accuracy have a price and you have to know what you are looking for to get the best bargain for what you can afford.

As to a .22 being better than an airgun...would have to disagree if you have never owned a rifle before. A single shot airgun will make you a much better shot than a repeater .22...especially when you are a developing hunter. Knowing you have only one chance really ups the concentration factor... You also have to stalk closer which develops your hunting, movement and camo skills.

I received a Daisy 1894 BB gun for a Christmas present when I was 8 1/2. A single shot break barrel .177 PIC pellet gun when I was 10. And the .22 came when I was 14. Killed a lot of birds with that .177 still hunting, spot and stalk and from blinds.

Most of the air rifles I now have are .20 Sheridans and one .20 Beeman R9. The Sheridans are all pumps with open or peep shights and the R9 has a scope. Killed a crow with one of the Sheridans with peepsights at 35 yards and can hit shotgun shell from the sitting position with the R9 at 40 yards.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...hrono_results_from_some_5mms#Post5312328

As a suggestion, if you are going to try a break barrel gun, try and use the open sights and get good with them. The cheap scopes that come on some airguns don't hold zero from shot to shot as spring piston air guns are very rough on scopes.

As to a "cheap" air rifle...for a springer I wouldn't buy anything less than an RWS 34 or maybe one of the new Nitros series from Benjamin. Better to save up and do it right than spending the gas money with trips to Walmart returning chinese junk.

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....