Folks,

I'm looking to purchase my first over/under shotgun. I know very little about what's out there and what would be a wise purchase for my intended use of the gun.

I've googled up info on brands, options, etc. but I'm seeing some conflicting info. So, I'm looking for some sound advice from the 'Fire.

Here's my situation:
- I am not a serious shotgunner. My collection of scatterguns are simply a Mossberg 500 and a Remington 870. Both 12 gauge. Owned a Winnie 1300 for a few years but never warmed up to it.
- I have no intentions of competitively shooting trap, skeet, sporting clays, etc. This gun will be used for dove, quail, pheasant, and informal target practice only.
- I only shoot approx. 300-400 shells/year. I don't expect that to change.
- I'm looking for an O/U that's under 7.3 lbs. I'll carry it up and down ridges all day for Gambel's quail FAR, FAR more than I'll shoot it.
- 12 or 20 is fine. Not interested in 28 or 16.
- Do want 28" barrels.
- Don't want non-ferrous receivers.
- I don't want to spend more than ~$2000.
- I'd like something of reasonable lasting quality and reliability. Not looking for a Kreighoff or a Perazzi. But, I don't want a Stoeger or Huglu, either. I'd like this to be a gun that I can hand down to my son/grandson some day - say ~30 years from now - and expect him to get many more miles out of it.

I can't give a rational answer for why I want to buy an O/U considering how little I shoot. It's just been one of those "wishes" I've carried with me for a long time now.

Here is what my inexperienced eyes have been looking at, so far:
- Beretta Silver Pigeon
- Beretta White Onyx
- Browning Citori 725
- Winchester 101 (new model - made in Belgium)

Any info/advice will be appreciated.

Also, how can I easily determine if the gun will "fit" without shooting it? I want to avoid cheekslap and don't want to start adding spacers, comb modifications, etc. after the fact, if I can avoid it.

Looking at all the above, maybe I'm asking for too much. If so, please suggest some potential areas of compromise for me to consider.

Thanks!