Originally Posted by ColeYounger
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
Originally Posted by hunter1960
Originally Posted by okok
I have 5 Surefires, best thing since sliced bread.

Yes, they are. The Streamlights are good also.

we don't agree on much often, so when we do, it might be a clue for the rest of you fellers!

you can get a G2 Surefire for around $35 bucks or so, it's the nylon body which I prefer over the aluminum as sometimes if I'm doing repairs in the dark and it's the light I have to use I don't want a metal aluminum body to hold between my teeth or in a headband against my head in our temps we have up here. Also have a Streamlight that's metal but the barrel is housed in rubber so i can use it the same way.

They both are superior lights with a brightness that I find I can't match with lesser lights.

if you guys know of cheaper lights that have similar lumen output I'm all ears (or eyes in this case I reckon)

flashlights are a tool, I try and use a tool for the appropriate task at hand, I've got cheap flashlights I use all the time around the house or at the cabin

just like I have firearms of differing quality, some I'd bet my life on, some are just to make my life more fun.

the surefires and streamlights I own are used otherwise, but are mainly for air travel. If the lights go out in an emergency situation on a plane I want light I can count on.

Plus due to the ever encroaching travel restrictions, I can't even carry a pocket knife, pity that.

but I can carry a flashlight, and a good one can be a useful defensive tool.

if I'm confronted by someone that poses physical harm to me or my family, most likely they're armed with something more than a flashlight.

I've yet to see the guy that when I shine one of those lights in their eyes, that they don't blink or avert their gaze. It only takes a second, but a second is all I need to try and drive his adam's apple out the back of his throat.

If I can accomplish that, bad odds just shifted slightly in my favor.

I'm willing to spend $35-100 for that advantage, just like on a true defensive firearm, I don't care as much about price as I do quality and am willing to pay for it.

but I've long been a proponent of "buy what makes you happy"

tis what I do, and I don't really care if what I buy makes anyone else happy or not.
Dude...

cree

glad you got a good one CY, but when you read the reviews quality seems spotty.

I'll be glad to purchase one for non emergency situations, but when I'm counting on one, I don't mind paying a bit more to get the reliability that often comes with a higher price tag.

the other thing I forgot to mention about the Surefires, if you're depressing the button while in your pocket, you'll realize it pretty soon, it puts out some heat vs. most led lights, I like that feature personally.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.